Birth & Death Certificates

Information Required to Request a Certified Birth or Death Certificate

If you request the certificate in person, you will be asked to complete and sign an application stating that you have tangible interest in the certificate. You will be asked to show identification.

Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 7, restricts access to a certified birth or death certificate to a person who has a tangible interest in the requested certificate. You have tangible interest in a certificate:

  • If you are the subject of the certificate
  • If you are the child, grandchild, spouse, parent, grandparent, legal custodian, or guardian of the subject
  • If you are a personal representative of the estate of the subject
  • If you are the person who filed or a representative of the organization that filed the birth or death information with the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or a local registrar

You may also be issued a certificate if a person who has tangible interest authorized you to receive the certificate or if you can demonstrate to the state registrar that the certificate is necessary for the determination or protection of a personal or property right.

A local, state, or federal governmental agency may be issued a certificate if it is necessary for the governmental agency to perform its authorized duties.

Tangible Interest

Tangible interest is a fraud protection measure. The prevalence of fraud is on the rise and most Minnesota birth and death records are public data. Tangible interest helps protect people who are born in Minnesota and the families of people who die in Minnesota by restricting access to the certificates that are used for most legal purposes such as school registration, applying for a passport or a social security number, or settling an estate.

Tangible interest does not change the classification of the data. Public data is still public. Access to private or confidential data is still restricted.

If you request the certificate by mail, you will be asked to provide the same information that is requested on the application and to have the application notarized before you mail it. Please attach a copy of your valid drivers license or state issued identification card.

Requesting a Certified Birth or Death Certificate

Certified copies, since 1858, are available from the Waseca County License Bureau. Certified birth or death certificates can be requested in person at the Waseca County License Bureau or can be requested by mail. To request a certificate by mail:

  • Print out a Birth Certificate Application or Minnesota Death Record Application
  • Complete the form
  • Have your signature notarized and mail the completed form with a copy of your drivers license or State issued identification card to:
    Waseca County License Bureau
    300 N State St
    Waseca, MN 56093
    Phone: (507) 835-0625
    Fax: (507) 837-5310
  • Payment must be received before certificates can be issued. Make your check or money order payable to Waseca County License Bureau and send to the address above. United States of America currency only.


  • Birth
    • $26 for first certified certificate
    • $19 for each additional certificate of the same record issued at the same time
  • Death
    • $13 for first certified certificate
    • $6 for each additional certificates of the same record issued at the same time

Birth Public Record

Information needed to obtain record:

  • Name on record
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth (city and hospital)
  • Mother's name and father's name

Restricted birth records are available only to the child's mother, the father if he is listed on the certificate, the individual listed on the birth record when they have reached 18 years of age, a grandparent who is the child's physical guardian, a legal guardian representing a certified copy of guardianship papers, an individual presenting a certified copy of a court order releasing the record to him/her, the Commissioner of Welfare or authorized representative, or a bona fide adoption agency or authorized representative. Also, an individual with a written and notarized authorization from any of the persons above may obtain a restricted record.